DISCOUNTS ON COPYRIGHT LICENSE
Did you know that if you pay for your Copyright License fee at any of the MUSIC COPYRIGHT SOCIETY OF KENYA (MCSK) offices countrywide, you get a 10% DISCOUNT?
This applies to all MUSIC USERS including ALL POLITICAL ASPIRANTS.
Also, 10% discount is available to those music users paying for copyright license fees before expiry of their current license.
"KULIPA LESENI NI KULIPA MSANII"
Contact us on:0700635806,0784635806 Email: email@example.com
PUBLIC NOTICE AND CAUTION
It is mandatory to have mandate/authority from the copyright owners (musical, audio visual, artistic & literary works) or owners of the rights neighbouring copyright (broadcast, performer or producer of sound recording) before any CMO (organisation or institution) can purport to collect royalties (act) on their behalf. See below
Dear Music users and owners, kindly note that we received conservatory orders staying the decision by KECOBO to deny us a License as below.
Kindly note, IP (Copyright) is private and not government property, hence the copyright owner has to give authority/mandate before any society can claim to act on behalf of the copyright owner. Demand for proof of mandate for any society trying to license. Click here to view the orders.
NOTICE TO MEMBERS AND STAKEHOLDERS
MUSIC COPYRIGHT SOCIETY OF KENYA (MCSK) collects and distributes royalties for the exploitation of Performing and Reproduction rights of Authors (songwriters), Composers, Publishers and Arrangers of copyrighted musical works.
MCSK controlled catalogue (repertoire) has over 100 Million copyrighted musical works together with details of over 10 Million audiovisual productions from over 14,000 Kenyan Copyright Owners
- Musicians (Through Deeds of Assignments) and over 120 Affiliate (Associate) Societies (Through
Reciprocal Agreements) from across the world.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN TO ALL COPYRIGHT OWNERS (MUSICIANS; USERS OF MUSIC & MCSK LICENSEES THAT; On 03rd November 2016, in the High Court of Kenya at Malindi, in Constitutional Petition No. 05 of 2016: Mercy Munee Kingoo & Another – Vs- Safaricom Ltd & Another, JUSTICE HON. S.J. CHITEMBWE; RULED THAT:
The manner in which Section 30A, of the Copyright Act 2001 laws of Kenya is implemented is unconstitutional as it was enacted without public participation and it is being retrospectively applied. It also limits artists’ freedom not to be compelled to join an association of any kind as provided under Article 36 of the Constitution. The petitioners are being forced to receive their royalties through Collective Management Organization yet they have no dealings with them. This is unconstitutional.
We would like to notify our members the following: -
- That the society shall be making distribution of royalties for performances in public places (PPP)class as per the distribution rules of the society, effective from 1st March 2017 and run up to 30th May 2017.
- That the Amounts declared for General Distribution of Feb 2017 is 25,000,000.00 (Twenty-five million shillings only)
- That we are using log sheets and data on music usage obtained from the new Monitoring platformVERICAST
- That we are using data for the period beginning 1stMarch 2016 TO 31st December 2016
- That royalties shall be transferred to members’ Bank Accounts. Amounts of 2000.00(two thousand shillings only) and below will be paid via mpesa.
NB: It is a requirement of the law that all Kenyan tax payers be I-tax compliant. Kindly note that you have to be I-Tax registered with KRA for you to be paid your royalties as per the law. Please register and send your iTax KRA Pin Number to your nearest MCSK office or send a copy of your PIN firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only members who are 1 year and above in the society and have been successfully vetted will qualify for the distribution.
Any Issues regarding distribution of royalties may be addressed to the Distribution Department email@example.com or P.O. Box 14806 – 00800 Nairobi and on 0733200872/0730200236/0730200222
We collect and distribute royalties for the exploitation of Performing and Reproduction rights of Authors (songwriters), Composers, Publishers and Arrangers of copyrighted musical works.
MCSK controlled catalogue (repertoire) has over 33 Million musical works together with details of over 2 Million audiovisual productions from over 7,000 Kenyan Musicians (Deeds of Assignments) and over 120 Affiliate (Associate) Societies (Reciprocal Agreements) from across the world.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN TO ALL USERS OF MUSIC & MCSK LICENSEES THAT:
HON. MR. JUSTICE G.V. ODUNGA; In Chambers on 23rd February 2017, UPON READING the Statutory Statement and Verifying Affidavit of 22nd February 2017 together with annextures thereto, AND WHEREAS this matter came up exparte in Chambers; ORDERED THAT:
- “STAY IS HEREBY GRANTED TO THE APPLICANT (MCSK) IN THE NATURE OF A CONSERVATORY ORDERS SUSPENDING THE DECISION TO DECLINE RENEWAL OF THEIR LICENSE BY THE RESPONDENT (KeCoBo) IN OTHER WORDS pending THE HEARING AND DETERMINATION OF THE MOTION THE APPLICANT’S (MCSK) LICENSE WILL BE DEEMED TO BE VALID UNTIL FURTHER ORDERS OF THIS COURT.”
MUSIC COPYRIGHT SOCIETY OF KENYA (MCSK) would like, on behalf of all copyright owners of the music in its catalogue, to thank all Users of music who have a valid license to exploit musical works in compliance with the provisions of The Copyright Act 2001, Laws of Kenya. For those who do not have valid license are requested to get one from any MCSK offices countrywide
THE COURT ORDER MAY BE VIEWED AT HERE